It may be September but there are lots of delicious vegetables that are still in season like peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, and onions. You know what those vegetables sound like? Pizza toppings!
When it comes to pizza, everyone’s favorite is usually thin crust. The light, crispy thin crust, sweet tomato sauce, and thin layer of cheese is just so delicious. But what about deep dish? This underrated style of pizza seems to be popular nowhere but Chicago. Until now…
Check out this fantastic deep dish pizza you can make at home in your cast iron skillet using all those delicious seasonal vegetables.
What you need:
- 1 Pizza Dough – You can buy premade dough at most any grocery store. If you want the challenge of making your own dough, check out this dough recipe.
- ½ Cup of Pizza Sauce – Pizza sauce can be anything from standard marinara to one of my favorites, arrabbiata (spicy!) Do you like white sauce or oil? Experiment and let us know how it goes!
- At least a Cup of Veggies – Use up those tasty in season veggies like eggplant, fresh tomatoes, and a green pepper.
- At least a ½ Cup of Mozzarella Cheese – You can cheese this to the max if you want (I usually do) otherwise, use at least ½ a cup.
- Olive Oil – For coating the skillet (You’ll also need a cast iron skillet!)
- You can also add seasonings, Parmesan cheese, basil or whatever you fancy!
- Cook the veggies however you’d like. I’d suggest roasted them in the oven (since you’ll have to use that anyway) or try grilling them to give them that smoky charred flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Use olive oil to coat your cast iron skillet. You can also rub a garlic clove around to add some more flavor.
- Add your dough to the skillet and push it up the sides about 1-1.5 inches.
- Sprinkle in your cheese. (Oh yeah, cheese first with deep dish!) Then add your veggies and top with the sauce. You can put some cheese on top and add seasonings and/or Parmesan.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes. (Adjusting for altitude it may take 30+minutes) Basically you are looking for a golden brown crust and bubbly cheese and sauce.
Let it cool for a few minutes and then enjoy. Deep dish is hearty so don’t expect to eat it all, even though you’ll want to.